Church of El Salvador
Romanesque, from the s. XI (year 1093), has a single nave with a semicircular apse. The tower is separated from the nave and communicates with it through a narrow vaulted passageway. The ship, covered with a barrel vault, is divided into three sections by arches fajones dismounted in pilasters. Attached to the walls, it has blind arcades on columns and a beautiful portico, with arches grouped by pairs, each one supporting itself separately in wide pilasters and, when coming together, in common columns.
The Museum of the Fueros - Church of Saints Justo and Pastor
Located in the Romanesque church of Santos Justo y Pastor, from the s. XII and XIII, declared a National Monument from 1931. It is located intramuros, that is to say, inside the wall that protected Sepúlveda, after the Door of the Azogue, word that means market, reason why possibly in its proximities the weekly market would be developed. Due to its location and magnitude, it must have been one of the most important churches in Sepúlveda, which had fifteen parishes at the time when it was being built. At the moment a thematic route has been arranged that has the following chapters: the history of Sepúlveda; Patronazgo and Patronage; the Fueros in the Middle Ages; the men of the Charter and the Community of Villa y Tierra de Sepúlveda.
In the three naves of the temple, its high choir and its unique crypt, are exhibited sculptures, paintings, historical documents and archaeological remains, all original, related to each of the above-mentioned aspects, covering a chronology comprised between the s. XIII and XVIII. A series of audiovisuals and illustrated panels help the visitor to know the basic aspects of each of the topics covered. Regarding the Fueúl de Sepúlveda, it should be remembered that it was granted by Alfonso VI in 1076, being the first Border Charter in which a new repoblador model was created (1300's extensive version is preserved). In this important document, numerous privileges, tax exemptions and other real prerogatives are well established, whose influence will be felt in other regional regulations such as those of Uclés (Cuenca), Roa (Burgos), Segura de León (Badajoz), Teruel, Castellón. ..
- Tel. 921 540 425
Church of Ntra. Mrs. the Virgin of the Rock
Romanesque, from the s. XII, its plant is identical to that of the church of El Salvador, although the current porch is almost all s. XVI. It has a tall nave, an apse to the salient and an attached tower. The most significant feature of the temple is the tympanum located at the entrance door, unique in Segovia and Romanesque Segovia. The apse is almost identical to that of El Salvador, with attached columns, arches in their vanes and a checkered molding that runs throughout the whole chamber. The vault is half-barrel ashlar, with blind arches on either side, on which runs the cornice that serves as support for the vault, supported by columnar imposts triple shaft.
In this church is the image of the patron saint of the Villa and her land, Nuestra Señora de la Peña, carved in polychrome wood of the s. XII, which represents the Virgin seated with the Child in her arms. An artistic iron gate separates the main altar from the nave.
Church of St. Bartholomew
Romanesque, from the s. XI-XII, possesses a single ship with two chapels that form cruise and cover of wood. The tower, of ashlar masonry, is attached to the church. It is worth noting the stone staircase, presided by a beautiful Renaissance cruise, which gives access to the portico of the temple.
House of the Hoces del Río Duratón Park.
Church of Santiago
Located in the church of Santiago of a single rectangular nave, it has an apse of quarter of sphere of Mozarabic style, of brick with double arches and geometric figures, which is unique in Sepúlveda. It has an underground crypt, possibly the remains of a primitive church, where there are a series of anthropomorphic tombs carved into the rock that could date from the s. X.
Museum of Old Toy Figures
The collection brings together 14.000 figures, approximately half of Spanish manufacture and the rest produced in other 43 countries, by more than 320 different manufacturers.
- Tel. 921 540 417
Interpretation Center of the Old Sepulveda Prison
The building of the Old Jail of Sepúlveda, framed between the already disappeared Arco de la Villa and the cubes of the wall, began to be built in the year 1543. At present, this building houses the Interpretation Center of the Old Sepulveda Prison. It addresses the issue of seclusion in all its senses. It also houses the Tourism Office of Sepúlveda.
From the Puerta del Azogue or Ecce Homo and the path of the Virgen de la Peña, you will find some of the best coats of arms of the Villa. Opposite the Fueros Museum is the Casa de los Proaño or "Casa del Moro", it has a Moorish head on the upper part of its façade, according to the tradition of the Murcian warden killed by Fernán González. In front of this house is a beautiful romantic garden. A little further on, Casa de las Conchas is located, with a balcony surrounded by shields and shells carved on the façade.
After reaching the church of the Virgen de la Peña and enjoy the viewpoint from which to admire the first scythe of the Natural Park of the Hoces del Río Duratón, we return by the same path and take the stairs located in front of the Fueros Museum, to reach the Trascastillo neighborhood.
From the gardens of Trascastillo to the house of the park (church of Santiago) we find the entrance of the ancestral home of the González de Sepúlveda, whose rear façade is the castle. Following this street is the house of the count of Sepúlveda (title created by Queen Isabel II), with a balcony-heraldic altarpiece supported by caryatids that has various architectural and decorative elements.
A little further on are some pointed brick arches that are believed to give access to the Jewish Quarter. In front of the church of Santiago, a ramp descends to the neighborhood of San Esteban, with remains of large houses with Romanesque doors, some with blazons. Here is the Virgen de las Pucherillas, in a niche next to the Puerta del Río.