The second religious tourism itinerary through the city of Segovia leads us to the place where San Vicente Ferrer preached during his visit to Segovia in the 1411 year.
Again from the Azoguejo We lined the avenue of the Aqueduct (Minister of Public Works when this avenue was drawn), in which, to our left, we soon found the church of San Clemente, habitually without cult, that owns a beautiful Romanesque apse that looks at the street of the Marquess of Mondéjar (politician of Felipe IV and writer).
Continuing along the avenue, we will immediately be surprised by the great parish church of San Millán, decorated by apses, atria and very beautiful porticos, considered one of the oldest temples in the city. Its interior is majestic, with Mudejar remains of its ancient coffered ceiling. Two sculptures are venerated, the Soledad and a Christ in his Last Word, both works of the sculptor born in this parish, Aniceto Marinas.
We went to the popularly called New Road (It actually consists of three sections, Ezequiel González, Conde de Sepúlveda and Obispo Quesada), through which we will arrive at the old chapel of the Christ of the Market, before which there is a stone cross. Tradition says that at the point of this cross he preached to the Segovians San Vicente Ferrer.
Was born SAN VICENTE FERRER in Valencia, in 1350; the example of his parents and his religious teachings led him to enter the Community of the Dominican Fathers; his great intelligence led him to be, at the 21 years, professor of philosophy at the university. Great preacher, he managed to gather large masses of people to listen to him; his sermons used to last a couple of hours, during which he kept the listeners tense. He starred in numerous miracles and toured, on foot, during 30 years, Spain and southern France, northern Italy and Switzerland. He died the 5 of April of 1419 and was declared a saint in 1455.
Fray Vicente arrived in Xgox 3 May, 1411, feast of the Invention of the Holy Cross, and found in the place a large crowd, who was probably there to celebrate the placement of "May", a high-altitude pole, apparently of pagan origin but which was absorbed by Catholicism; the party continues celebrating at the foot of the hermitage. By desire of San Vicente Ferrer a small chapel was built here, but in the 17th century it was demolished to replace it by the present one. It has an altarpiece by the master Churriguera, and as for the image of the Christ, there is no specific date, although it is supposed that it was donated in the early sixteenth century. In 1863 a relic of San Vicente Ferrer was brought from Rome, which was kept in a white metal reliquary, now unknown.